Body of missing Salt Lake City woman recovered - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Body of missing Salt Lake City woman recovered

Undated photos of Mackenzie Lueck, released on June 21, 2019. (Courtesy of the Salt Lake City Police Department)

CASPER, Wyo. — Police in Salt Lake City say that the body of MacKenzie Lueck has been recovered from Logan Canyon in Utah.

In a Friday, July 5 press conference, Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown said that once remains were located, forensics confirmed that it was Lueck.

“I am relieved and grief-stricken that we have recovered MacKenzie Lueck from Logan Canyon,” Brown said.

Article continues below...

SLC Mayor Jackie Biskupski echoed some of Brown’s comments at the press release that he hoped the recovery of her body might bring closure to her relatives.

“As a parent myself, this is a circumstance beyond belief,” Biskupski said. “I hope that the information today brings closure to MacKenzie’s family and friends.”

Brown, Biskupski and the SLC district attorney thanked the community for their support during the investigation. They also asked the community to remain respectful.

The district attorney reminded that the suspect in the case is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Further details about the recovery of Leuck’s remains were not provided in Friday’s press conference.

An individual was arrested on June 28 in connection with the case. Brown has said that 31-year-old Ayoola Adisa Ajayi has been booked into a local jail on charges of Aggravated Murder, Aggravated Kidnapping, Obstruction of Justice, and Desecration of a Body.

Lueck had been visiting family in California, and returned to Salt Lake City via airplane, at approximately 1:35 am, June 17. Lueck is said to have texted family members at approximately 2:00 am, that morning.

During a June 26 press conference, Brown said that Lueck used a ride sharing service to travel to the Hatch Park area of North Salt Lake City. Brown said that investigators believe that Lueck was dropped off and met with another individual in the park, at approximately 3:00 am.

Lueck was then said to have left the area with the individual.

Brown also added that all social media and telephone activity associated with Lueck ceased at 3:00 am, June 17, as well.

During the press conference, it was said that the suspect admitted to having a text conversation with Lueck the day before, but said that the had not had contact with her on June 27th. Brown also said that the suspect claimed to not know Lueck or what she looked like.

Brown then indicated that the suspect had pictures of Lueck, and that the last person that Lueck had contacted was the suspect. It was also reported that phone records showed the suspect in the area at the time of Lueck’s disappearance.

A search warrant was served at a private Salt Lake City home associated with Ayoola Adisa Ajayi, on June 26. During the execution of that warrant, Brown said that neighbors told police that the Ajayi had been seen in the yard burning something on the dates of June 17 and June 18th.

Police announced the discovery of a fresh dig site, near where the burning was said to have taken place. Brown told reporters that after forensic excavation of the area, charred items consistent with items associated with Lueck were found.

Brown also said that female human tissue was found.

Ajayi was taken into custody at approximately 9:20 am, June 28th.

All of those cited or arrested are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law. Charges are subject to change following official filings from the relevant District Attorney’s Office.