Cheney takes dig at Pelosi in wake of Iranian attacks on U.S. military forces - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Cheney takes dig at Pelosi in wake of Iranian attacks on U.S. military forces

(Rep. Liz Cheney, Facebook via C-SPAN)

CASPER, Wyo. — The United States Department of Defense said on Tuesday that “Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq.”

The attack occurred at about 5:30 pm Jan. 7 and DOD says that at least two Iraqi military bases were targeted. Those bases at Al-Assad and Irbil host U.S. military personnel.

“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” DOD says. “In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners.”

Article continues below...

“These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.”

On Wednesday morning, Wyoming’s United States Representative Liz Cheney criticized House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi said on Twitter that the U.S. could not afford war with Iran.

“Closely monitoring the situation following bombings targeting U.S. troops in Iraq,” Pelosi said on Tuesday night. “We must ensure the safety of our servicemembers, including ending needless provocations from the Administration and demanding that Iran cease its violence. America & world cannot afford war.”

Cheney interpreted Pelosi’s statement as the speaker putting blame for the attack on the United States.

“Last night while missiles were raining down on U.S. military personnel, Speaker Pelosi was blaming America,” Cheney said on Twitter.

Cheney said on Tuesday that Iran made a “grave mistake” in launching their attacks.

“I am monitoring the situation in Iraq closely and praying for our men and women in uniform,” she said on Twitter. “The Iranian regime has made a grave miscalculation by launching these attacks.”

Later, she added “I stand with President Trump, who has been clear that the United States will not tolerate such action against our forces.”

In a statement on Tuesday night on Twitter, President Donald Trump acknowledged the attacks.

“All is well,” he said. “Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”

Trump added that he would be making a statement on Wednesday regarding the attacks.