Fires caused by improperly extinguished smoking material 'all too common in Casper' - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Fires caused by improperly extinguished smoking material ‘all too common in Casper’

(City of Casper Fire-EMS Department, Facebook)

CASPER, Wyo. — “A fire that has become unfortunately all too common in Casper [is an] exterior fire started by improperly discarded smoking materials,” said Casper Fire-EMS Captain Patrick McJunkin on the agency’s live Facebook update Friday morning.

Such incidents begin with people smoking on a deck or patio, and smoldering cigarettes either ignite flammable material in a receptacle, or scatter from the receptacle into flammable materials.

“The wind just accelerates that fire, and they tend to be quite destructive,” McJunkin said.

Article continues below...

“The simple fix” is to dispose of smoking materials in a metal container with water and a lid. Without a lid, even a metal container can be knocked or blown over and scatter embers or smoldering butts.

“Never put them in potted plants or in any other organic material that can ignite,” McJunkin added.

The agency urged the public last month to be on guard as vegetation continues to “cure” in the dryness of late summer, creating ample opportunity for fires to begin due to carelessness.