Casper Fire-EMS (Gregory Hirst, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — A resident of a home on the 3000 block of Cabin Creek Place was evaluated on the scene for smoke inhalation after Casper Fire-EMS crews were called to a structure fire Thursday.

Casper Fire-EMS reports that crews were called at 4 p.m. and firefighters arrived to find a single-family home with a stovetop fire that damaged an over-the-range microwave. No active fire was found when firefighters arrived.

Residents evacuated prior to the firefighters’ arrival. The one resident who reported smoke inhalation declined to be taken to the hospital, Casper Fire-EMS reported.

“Casper Fire-EMS responded to the scene with 4 units, the on-duty Battalion Chief, and other Chief Officers. Natrona County Fire Protection District also provided one engine in mutual aid,” a department press release stated. “An investigator with the Natrona County Interagency Task Force also responded to the scene. The fire remained small enough in size and smoke production that the residents were not displaced.”

Casper Fire-EMS also shared the following safety messages:

  • With this weekend’s Daylight Saving Time change — check your smoke alarms!
  • Install and maintain smoke alarms in every bedroom and on every level of your home.
  • Be familiar with two ways out of every room that you are in, especially in buildings that
    are not your own home.
  • Cooking fires remain a top cause of structure fires in Casper. Stay in the kitchen
    whenever you are frying, boiling, grilling, or using a broiler. If using slower methods to
    cook, check back in the kitchen frequently.
  • Before you leave your home, make sure that all burners on your range are off — even if it
    has been several hours since you last used the range.
  • Keep your stovetop clean and free of any flammable materials, such as utensils, oven
    mitts, and towels.

For more information, Casper Fire-EMS stated to contact Engineer/PIO Dane Andersen.

Correction, Nov. 4, 2022: Casper Fire-EMS incorrectly stated the location of the fire in the quoted material. The location was removed and the story is updated.