No injuries or fire found at south Casper assisted living facility
CASPER, Wyo. — At 9:15 a.m., Casper Fire-EMS firefighters were dispatched to 4041 S. Poplar, Life Care Center of Casper, for reports of a structure fire.
Initial reports stated smoke was filling the dining area and an adjacent hallway of the facility. Firefighters arrived on scene and determined the problem to be a motor in a heated air handling unit that had seized. Facilities maintenance and firefighters isolated the malfunctioning unit and ventilated light smoke that had accumulated in the structure.
No injuries or illnesses were reported in relation to the incident.
“Casper Fire-EMS applauds the staff at Life Care Center of Casper for swiftly initiating resident protection protocols and maintaining protective measures while Firefighters investigated the incident. Contractors have been contacted to complete repairs on the affected unit,” Casper Fire-EMS said in a news release.
Casper Fire-EMS is reminding the public to create and practice a fire safety plan for both their homes and places of work.
“As demonstrated in this instance, a fire safety plan protects yourself, and those you work with, by identifying two ways out of every room, and steps to take following evacuation orders, or orders to protect yourself in your place. Consider weather and time of day in your fire safety plans, and discuss options for cold weather and darkness,” the release stated.
Firefighters responded to the scene with six units, the on-duty battalion chief, and investigators with the Natrona County Interagency Fire Investigation Task Force. Crews were assisted by Banner Health Wyoming Medical Center, Casper Police Department officers, telecommunicators with the Public Safety Communications Center, and facilities managers with Life Care Center of Casper.