BACKSTORY- A Lost Casper Lunch Counter - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

BACKSTORY- A Lost Casper Lunch Counter

Staff pose in front of Albright’s lunch stand in an undated photo from the Wyoming State Archives. The stand was located on the south corner of 8th and Center Street behind the First Presbyterian Church in central Casper. The photo was likely taken in the 1920s or 1930s. (Wyoming State Archives Carrigen Collection)

An undated photo in the Wyoming State Archives shows a smart looking staff proudly posing in front of an modest but inviting wood building. The large sign in front says “Albright’s” and advertises itself as a lunch counter that serves tasty treats such as sandwiches, BBQ, candy and ice cream.

Albright’s is long gone, but the brick building behind the lunch counter will immediately be familiar to any Casper resident.

The First Presbyterian Church located on the southern corner of 8th and Wolcott was built in 1926. It shares the area with other large early-20th century church buildings housing St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Wolcott and St. Anthony’s Catholic Church on Center.

Article continues below...

One of the only mentions of Albright’s in a newspaper database was an ad from Oct. 3, 1931. The address was 801 S. Center, which matches one of the addresses on the office building that now sits on the lot.

The back of the First Presbyterian Church can be seen behind an office building now on the corner of 8th and Center. (Dan Cepeda, Oil City)
A view facing Center St of the side of First Presbyterian Church. The office building now occupying the lot where a lunch stand once stood in the early 1930s. (Dan Cepeda, Oil City)
A small 1931 newspaper ad for P.H. Albright lists the phone number and address at 801 S. Center. The surviving surroundings match the address where Albright’s lunch counter once stood.