The building is on the National Historic Register list, even though half of it was hidden under a 70s-era addition when it was nominated.
Casper’s historic Fire Station No. 1 was built in 1921 in a gothic revival style. It served as an fire station until the late 1980s when a modern Station No. 1 was built a short distance away.
The surprise discovery came as the old Plains Furniture Store was being explored for demolition. The store engulfed two older buildings, a car dealership and the municipal garage, and incorporated them into their large showroom.
Article continues below...
The garage is now owned by Fire Station No. 1 owner Phil Schmidt. Schmidt restored the station and converted it into office space in the early 2000s and is now restoring the garage, which needs extensive work on the damaged decorative terra cotta and top brick.
For decades the handsome old fire station was surrounded by architecturally unimpressive neighbors. Now, with the completion of the David Street Station public plaza, it can be seen and enjoyed by more people than ever before.