Over 3,821,397 readers this year!

Casper Fire-EMS: lint and debris caused dryer fire Thursday

(File Photo; Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — Casper Fire-EMS determined that a buildup of lint, clothing, and other debris behind a dryer caused it to catch fire Thursday, the agency said in a release.

Crews were dispatched to the scene in the 500 block of South Jackson Street around 5:30 p.m. Thursday for a reported structure fire. The resident had extinguished the fire, and crews verified there was no further danger.

The release notes that 27% of all dryer fires are started when dust, fiber or lint is ignited, according to the National Fire Protection Association. “A third of all dryer fires are caused by a failure to clean them,” the release said.

“Please be sure to clean your clothes dryer lint traps, venting and dryers on a regular basis according to manufacturers instructions,” Casper Fire-EMS said.

The Casper Police Department, the Casper-Natrona County Public Safety Communications Center, and Banner Wyoming Medical Center also responded to the call.

Related