CASPER, Wyo. — The West Thumb Geyser Basin has reopened after a nine-day closure due to possible battery fumes in the area, Yellowstone National Park’s Public Affairs Office said Friday.
The temporary closure was implemented on Sept. 12 after smoke was reported coming out of a small building housing a solar battery energy storage system. The closure was implemented because battery fumes are corrosive and hazardous if inhaled, Yellowstone’s Public Affairs Office said in its initial closure announcement.
On Friday, the park’s structural fire crew determined the area to be safe to access, and the closure was lifted.
West Thumb Geyser Basin is in the southern part of Yellowstone.