(via Natrona County Emergency Management Facebook)

CASPER, Wyo. — With an upper-level low to the west and high pressure to the east, Natrona County finds itself in a bit of a sandwich with an abnormally wet atmosphere that’s capable of producing heavy rain during afternoon thunderstorms.

There’s no letup in this pattern for now, according to the National Weather Service in Riverton.

“As for the pattern over the next several days, it reminds me of a song. I was listening to ’70s music earlier today (yes, I’m old), and I heard one from the early ’70s by Stealers Wheel entitled ‘Stuck In The Middle With You.’ The difference being, instead of being stuck between clowns and jokers, we are stuck between an upper-level low to the west and ridge to the east,” meteorologist Chris Hattings wrote in the forecast discussion. “Anyway, these two systems will continue to be the main drivers of the weather over the next few days, as the weather pattern across the northern Rockies remains as clogged as an 100-year-old plumbing system.”

Scattered showers and thunderstorms are expected today, mainly after 1 p.m. Some storms will be strong to borderline severe, capable of producing small hail, gusty winds and heavy rain. The heavy rain will be the main threat, the forecast says. The chance of rain is 40%.

YouTube video

Today will start off bright with mostly sunny skies and a high reaching 78 degrees. Afternoon storms will cool Casper down, leading to an overnight low of 54 before returning to a high of 74 on Thursday. Thursday afternoon carries a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms, dropping to 30% overnight as the low again reaches 54, according to the forecast.

Friday will repeat the pattern: sunny and warm in the morning with a high of 82, then a 40% chance for heavy rain during thunderstorms in the afternoon. The overnight low will be 54.

The weekend promises to be even wetter, with an early 20% chance of rain Saturday rising to 70% over the course of the day, leading to a 50% chance for thunderstorms in the evening. Expect a high near 74.

Sunday will be largely the same with a 30% chance of rain rising to 60% as the high returns from Saturday’s 53–degree low to 70 degrees.

More on the forecast is available from the National Weather Service in Riverton.