Man taken into custody and transported to hospital, leaves with I.V. still attached - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Man taken into custody and transported to hospital, leaves with I.V. still attached

Paul Jonathan Farley (courtesy of Casper Police Department)

CASPER, Wyo. — A suspect that was reportedly arrested on a recommended charge of Burglary, is said to have left the hospital against medical orders; with an I.V. bag and telemetry box still attached; before police took him into custody again.

According to law enforcement records, Paul Jonathan Farley, born in 1989, was arrested on a recommended felony charge of Burglary, after he was booked into the Natrona County Detention Center on the morning of September 2, 2019.

Farley is accused of entering a home while the owner was away, barricading the front door, taking items from the home, and then attempting to leave the area when confronted. Officers say that area citizens were able to prevent Farley from leaving the scene.

Article continues below...

The Casper Police Department says that at approximately 1:15 pm, September 1st, officers were dispatched to the area of 1st and Poplar for a report of a burglary.

Dispatch advised that two witnesses had chased a suspect and had cornered him in a yard, near the 100 block of South Huber Street in Casper. Police arrived and identified the suspect as Farley and took him into custody.

Police spoke with the resident of a home near 1st and Poplar Streets in Casper who said that they had been out of the house during the previous night, and had returned shortly before police were called. When the resident arrived at the home, they were approached by a neighbor who inquired about suspicious activity around the home.

The resident said that they attempted to enter their front door, and found it to be barricaded from the inside.

Witnesses report hearing noise inside the home, when a suspect fled out the back door of the residence, and reportedly tried to hide in a neighboring yard. The suspect then attempted to flee the scene.

Witnesses from the neighborhood say that the suspect had attempted to get into several houses, and say that Farley was observed hiding behind a tree in the 100 block of South Huber Street. When confronted, Farley was reported to jump the fence into another yard, where the suspect ran into another bystander.

Police arrived to find the bystanders confronting Farley on the 100 block of South Huber Street. The suspect was described as wearing a tank top, black pants, and no shoes.

The suspect, identified by Police as Farley, was subsequently taken into custody.

Witnesses reported to police that Farley had a bag when he fled the home. Police say that a bag was found in the neighborhood, containing items that belonged to the burglarized house, including identifying information for one of the residents.

After taking Farley into custody, he was taken by ambulance to a Casper hospital for medical concerns.

An investigation of the burglarized home is said to have shown that the front door of the home was barricaded from the inside, using a wooden chair. The rear door and kitchen window were reportedly found partially open.

Inside officers said that they found boots believed to belong to Farley, who was barefoot at the time he was taken into custody.

Several items were reportedly taken from the home, or removed from the garage and placed outside the rear door. Some of the items included a lawn trimmer and an electric drill.

Police also say that power to the home had been turned off by use of a breaker box at the residence.

Police write in an affidavit filed in the case that they believe the resident of the home had interrupted the suspect during the burglary.

Farley is said to have been admitted to the hospital on September 1, for what is described to be “potentially severe medical issues.” On September 2, 2019, at approximately 9:00 am, police were advised that Farley had left the hospital against medical advice, with his I.V. still in his arm and with a “telemetry box” that belonged to the hospital.

Police located Farley several hours later in the area of 1st street and Poplar, where he was subsequently taken into custody again.

Ultimately Farley was transported to the Natrona County Detention Center without further reported incident.

All of those cited or arrested are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law. Charges are subject to change following official filings from the Natrona County District Attorney’s Office.