Over 3,888,949 readers this year!

Suspect who surrendered to arrest in Paradise Valley neighborhood Wednesday wanted on new charges

(File Photo; Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — Casper police negotiated the peaceful surrender of a suspect to arrest on misdemeanor charges at his Paradise Valley home Wednesday afternoon, authorities said. Since bonding out later that day, he faces new charges, including violation of a stalking protection order.

The suspect, a man in his early 40s, was charged with stalking and said he would “shoot” if arresting officers entered the residence Wednesday, according to circuit court documents. The man’s father ultimately aided in convincing him to surrender.

In late July, Casper police said they were contacted by a woman who had briefly dated the suspect and was subsequently unable to maintain a cordial friendship, according to an affidavit.

She ultimately alerted police to increasingly abusive messages. Police attempted to contact the suspect at his residence in person, but he did not answer the door.

As the officer was leaving, the sprinklers “conveniently activated, soaking [the officer] and patrol vehicle,” the affidavit states. The officer contacted the suspect via text message to notify him not to contact the woman. According to the affidavit, the suspect continued to send abusive texts to the woman as well as to the officer who had contacted him.

A stalking protection order was served on the suspect on July 25, the terms of which stated that he shall not use or possess firearms. 

On July 26, the woman stated she had received 77 messages within two minutes from the suspect, and the Casper police officer had been spammed with over a thousand messages, including some that were blank and many that were hostile and demeaning.

An arrest warrant for stalking was issued, and officers attempted to contact the suspect at a gas station in Paradise Valley around 3:25 p.m. on Aug. 3. The suspect did not pull over when police activated lights, the affidavit says. Police did not engage in a pursuit through the neighborhood, and instead proceeded to the suspect’s home, where he eventually surrendered.

A circuit court judge authorized a search warrant on the home for firearms and ammunition. During this time, the suspect was bonded out of detention by his father, who was in communication with police. Officers requested access codes for the front door and gun safe via phone. 

The suspect refused to cooperate, and around 8 p.m. officers made entry into the empty residence via battering ram.  Police say they recovered eight firearms and several boxes of ammunition. Copies of the search warrant and property receipt were left on the kitchen counter, the affidavit states.

The suspect reportedly exited his father’s vehicle upon learning of the execution of the warrant.

The suspect currently has two active warrants, one for stalking and one for violation of a stalking protection order, according to CPD Lt. Scott Jones.