Unattended cooking blamed for fire that displaced one Casper family - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Unattended cooking blamed for fire that displaced one Casper family

(Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City)

CASPER, Wyo. — Casper Fire-EMS has released information on a fire that has displaced one family from their residence.

At 5:48 pm, August 10, 2020 Casper Fire-EMS units were dispatched to the 3400 Block of Stagecoach Drive for the report of a structure fire. Firefighters say they arrived to find a fire located in the kitchen of a single family residence.

“Firefighters quickly extinguished the remaining fire, and confined the fire to the kitchen,” Casper Fire-EMS said in a Monday evening statement.

Article continues below...

Five units and an investigator from Casper Fire-EMS responded to the incident. Officers with the Casper Police Department and an ambulance from Wyoming Medical Center also responded.

As of late Monday evening, no injuries were reported related to this incident.

Due to extensive smoke and fire damage, the occupants have been temporarily displaced and have received assistance from the Natrona County Burn Fund.

An investigator with Casper Fire-EMS reportedly determined the cause of the fire to be unattended cooking.

“The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason,” Casper Fire-EMS officials say. “If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly and stay in the home. Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking. Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, and curtains away from your stovetop. Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.”