Over 4,006,774 readers this year!

Crews respond to Tuesday morning fire in Casper

A fire Tuesday, just before noon, appears to have been caused by an improperly used extension chord, according to an announcement from fire officials.

(File Photo; Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — A fire just before noon on Tuesday appears to have been caused by an improperly used extension cord, according to an announcement from fire officials.

Casper Fire-EMS says that crews responded at approximately 11:47 a.m. to the 2800 block of Coulter Drive in Casper for a reported structure fire.

First-arriving units reported a small, smoldering fire within the residence.

“It was quickly extinguished and other responding units were able to return to service,” the Casper Fire-EMS statement said Tuesday night. “Four engines, one ladder truck, and the on-duty Battalion Chief responded, along with an Investigator.”

Crews stayed on scene until investigators arrived.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire was determined to be an overloaded extension cord that was improperly used as permanent wiring.

“Casper Fire-EMS would like to remind everyone that it is imperative to use extension cords appropriately.”

Casper Fire-EMS and the National Fire Protection Association recommend the following regarding extension cord use:

  • Never substitute extension cords for permanent wiring.
  • Never overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground.
  • Appliances and extension cords have wattage ratings; make sure the extension cord is appropriate for its desired use.
  • Never run extension cords through walls, doorways, ceilings or floors; keep extension cords free of debris. If a cord is covered, heat cannot escape, which can result in an increased fire danger.

Related