Over 3,997,732 readers this year!

Space heater blamed for Monday fire in Casper

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Courtesy of Casper Fire-EMS

CASPER, Wyo. — Fire officials believe that a space heater was the cause of a structure fire Monday night in Casper.

Casper Fire-EMS reports that units were dispatched to the 900 block of West 11th St. just before 9:15 p.m.

A statement from Casper Fire-EMS sent to media Monday night said that arriving firefighters observed smoke and melted siding on the exterior of the structure.

“One unit was able to quickly ensure the fire was extinguished while another checked for any fire spread into the home and performed a search,” the statement said. “One occupant was found inside the structure and escorted outside.”

The fire was limited to the exterior of the home. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Casper Fire-EMS goes on to report that four engines, one rescue truck, one ladder truck, and the on duty Battalion Chief responded, along with an Investigator.

“The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental,” firefighters report. “An improperly used space heater ignited nearby combustibles.”

Casper Fire-EMS would like to remind everyone that all forms of heating equipment need treated with caution and should be used in accordance with manufactures’ recommendations. Please ensure all heating equipment has necessary safety shut-offs and is clear of any combustible material. Also, extension cords should never be used for a permanent power source. Thank you for your safety-conscious mindsets and diligent fire prevention.”

Casper Fire-EMS written statement; Oct. 19, 2021
Courtesy of Casper Fire-EMS

Related