A video showing the dramatic rescue of a terrified koala bear from a raging bush fire in Australia captured the world’s attention last week.
Yesterday the Koala Hospital, which took in the severely injured marsupial for rehabilitation, announced they had decided to euthanize the creature.
“In Ellenborough Lewis’s case, the burns did get worse, and unfortunately would not have gotten better,” said the post.
Article continues below...
The animal was severely burned over much of his body, including his legs, feet and chest.
A long drought has led to devastating fires in Australia’s bush country, displacing hundreds of koalas that live in the area.
Lewis the koala became famous after a woman was captured on video as she rushed to save him from the flames, covering him in her shirt and pouring water on him.
He was taken to the Koala Hospital in New South Wales, which according to its Facebook page was established in 1973 and is the “world’s first rehabilitation facility dedicated solely to the care and conservation of wild koalas.”
Video of the koala’s rescue is below: