Casper PD thanks community for remaining peaceful during Wednesday protests - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Casper PD thanks community for remaining peaceful during Wednesday protests

Casper Police Chief Keith McPheeters addresses demonstrators at David Street Station on Wednesday, June 3. (Oil City staff)

CASPER, Wyo. — The Casper Police Department has been monitoring demonstrations in downtown Casper on Wednesday, June 3 which surround the killing of George Floyd.

Charges against Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on Floyd’s neck and back for several minutes, have been upgraded to second-degree murder and charges will be pressed against three other officers at the scene, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

Demonstrations in Casper remained mostly peaceful in Casper on Wednesday, the Casper PD said in a statement released around 6 pm. The department thanked everyone who remained peaceful throughout the day.

Article continues below...

Casper Police Chief Keith McPheeters addressed participants toward that beginning of the march, which officially started at noon. Demonstrators delivered speeches and marched silently to the Hall of Justice.

An organizer told demonstrators that he had been in contact with Floyd’s uncle, who he said requested that demonstrators remain silent during the march.

“The silence is poignant,” the organizer said.

The Casper Youth for Change, who helped organize Wednesday’s march, concluded their participation at 12:55 pm, the group said. They discouraged others from continuing, but other demonstrators continued with marches up and down East Second Street in Casper.

A truck carrying protesters crashed into the curb on East Second Street before coming to a rest in Conwell Park. Three people sustained minor, non-life threatening injuries in the crash and were taken to the Wyoming Medical Center, according to Casper PD Public Information Officer Rebekah Ladd.

Police issued only one citation prior to 5 pm. Ladd said that was a summons for property damage issued to an individual who allegedly caused damage to a red truck which slowly made its way through the crowd as demonstrators marched along East Second Street in the afternoon.

The full statement from the Casper PD regarding Wednesday’s activity reads as follows:

The Casper Police Department would like to thank everyone who participated in today’s peaceful gathering in regard to the tragic and unnecessary death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Today’s gathering began around noon at David Street Station where, among others, Chief McPheeters addressed the crowd. The group then walked to the Hall of Justice where they spoke and gathered for around an hour before dispersing.

Not long after, a smaller portion of that group began a demonstration down East Second Street for about three miles before turning around and returning to David Street Station. The Casper Police Department remained with the crowd to ensure their protection and safety as they exercised their first amendment rights.

During the course of this second part of the demonstration, a vehicle carrying participants got into an accident and three occupants were transported to the hospital with minor, non-life threatening injuries.

We are proud of the diligence of our officers and their commitment to protecting the rights of our citizens. Even during difficult moments, they maintained their diplomacy, tolerance, and respect for all people.

Overall, today’s events were peaceful. We would like to thank our community for their continued trust and support. We hear you and are proud to serve you, the incredible people of Casper.

Casper Police Department