Backstory: Historic photos give glimpse at Casper's mostly-gone small grocers - Casper, WY Oil City News
Oil City News Logo

Backstory: Historic photos give glimpse at Casper’s mostly-gone small grocers

A woman removes snow from her car parked in front of Grant Street Grocery during a snowstorm in 1971. The store was among more than 70 that operated around Casper at one time. It is now the last surviving neighborhood grocery in Casper. (Chuck Morrison Collection, Casper College Western History Center)

CASPER, Wyo. – A recent Backstory column looked into Casper’s early neighborhood grocery store boom during the first half of the previous century.

At one point Casper and the surrounding areas had around 75 small grocers, mostly tucked inside neighborhoods and surrounded by houses.

After the article published, Casper College Western History Center archivist Vince Crolla was able to locate numerous images of some of those stores, as well as digitize some photos that were preserved on film negatives decades ago.

Article continues below...

Here are those images, along with some photos from the first article.

Scott Jones poses by produce in Grant Street Grocery in 1981. Scott, and his father J.R., were the owners of the store which first opened in 1918 and still operates today. (Casper Star-Tribune collection, Casper College Western History Center)
Then-owners J.R. Jones and Scott Jones pose in front of Grant Street Grocery in 1981. (Lisa Edmonson, Casper Star-Tribune Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
Then-owner J.R. Jones helps a customer at the meat counter at Grant Street Grocery in 1981. (Lisa Edmonson, Casper Star-Tribune collection, Casper College Western History Center)
The Grant Street Grocery delivery truck is seen in the 1920s. (Casper College Western History Center)
Grant Street Grocery celebrates its 100th-anniversary on Sept. 15, 2018, in central Casper. The store is the last neighborhood grocery in Casper. (Dan Cepeda, Oil City File)
Two unidentified people pose in front of Jackson Street Grocery, which was located at 108 South Jackson. The building still stands and has since been converted into a residence. (Casper College Western History Center)
Jackson Street Grocery was located at 108 South Jackson. (Casper College Western History Center)
A building that was originally Jackson Street Grocery is now a residence. (Google)
Corner Grocery was located at 1337 East Second Street near Conwell Park. It has since been demolished. (Casper College Western History Center)
Johnson Bros. Grocery was at 638 East Second Street and is now the B&B Rubber Stamp location. (Natrona County Pioneer Association Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
B&B Rubber Stamp is located at what was originally the Johnson Bros. Grocery. (Google)
North Casper Grocery & Market was located at 920 North Harrison Street. (Casper College Western History Center)
Service Grocery and Market location today at 826 East A Street. (Google)
Brattis Groceries and Market at 310 West A Street, date unknown. (Walter Jones Collection, Casper College Library)
Parade on Center Street in Casper, passing by Kal’s Delicatessen, which is now Bush-Wells Sporting Goods. (Robert and Marie Robertson Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
Albertsons at the Hill Top Shopping Center, early 1960s. (Chamber of Commerce Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
The Commissary on West Yellowstone. (Casper Area Chamber of Commerce Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
This photo from 1949 shows the Kirby & McBride Conoco service station, once located at 411 E. 2nd Street in Casper. The Sandison’s Tip Top Food Market is seen in back. It opened in July 1931, at 345 East Second in a location formally occupied by a bakery, according to a Casper Tribune-Herald article. The Sandisons sold the store in 1954 and went on to develop the Hill Top Shopping Center further east.
Ad for Branen’s Low Cost Foods ran in the Casper Star-Tribune from Jan. 1970. At the time, there were two locations in Casper, one on 1st Street and another on Yellowstone. (Casper College Western History Center)
Natrona County Pioneer Association parade float passing by Safeway (now First United Methodist King’s Corner) on 112 S. Beech Street in Casper, 1949. (Robert and Marie Robertson Collection, Casper College Western History Center)
Two unidentified men stand inside the Jonen Grocery located at 218 W. 9th Street in a 1937 photo. Casper at one time had more than 70 small neighborhood grocery stores. (Carrigan Collection, Wyoming State Archives)
A large ad in the Aug. 3, 1923, edition of the Casper Tribune lists the 75 small grocery stores that dotted the Casper and surrounding areas during the early oil boom.