Oil City News is seeking a Casper-based reporter to help us create fresh, relevant and timely news content for the citizens of Casper and central Wyoming.
An exciting, fast-paced position in Casper, our Community Reporter creates content on a daily basis, proactively working to increase visibility and reader engagement with city-related news, breaking news, small business features, economic development, events and announcements. As Community Reporter, you’ll use your writing, editing and photography skills to deliver timely and accurate information to our community. You’ll primarily cover city and county news, along with select local boards and activities. You’ll also facilitate conversation among community members, serving as the voice of one of the area’s fastest growing news platforms. The Community Reporter is an active participant within the community and your work will be seen by thousands of people each day.
Essential functions of this role include: working as a member of a small news team to effectively cover city news, ability to create timely and accurate content, managing multiple assignments each day, interviewing community members, covering community events, writing short feature stories, writing news summaries and reporting to a managing editor. You’ll be supported in your endeavors by an experienced news team, with reporters working in several other Wyoming communities.
- Experience or formal training as a journalist covering local interest news, sports and events in a community similar to Casper, Wyoming
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Casper, Wyoming or nearby communities.
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write quickly and accurately
- Experienced social media user
- Passionate about the community
• Create original content for local online-only news platforms Oil City News, County17.com and Cap City News.
• Attend press conferences, briefings, public meetings
• Attend community events
• File reports from the scene of breaking news
• Edit and prepare reader-submitted tips for publication
• Upload/publish content on digital platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
• Contribute to community promotion, engagement strategies and tactics related to the brand
• Monitors discussions, resource postings, and trends within the community and on brand platforms; identifies and reports usage trends and advises on potential opportunities
• Networks with community members
• Coordinates with future support staff to ensure high level of quality and community engagement
• $38-$48k starting salary, depending on experience
• Paid vacation
• 10 paid holidays each year including New Years Eve, New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, ThanksGiving Day, Black Friday, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve.
• Health and Dental insurance.
• IRA (employer matches your contributions)
Oil City News is a locally owned company with reporters in several Wyoming communities. Our offices are located in the heart of Wyoming, which means you’ll have extensive access to fresh air and the great outdoors. There’s a mountain, a lake, a river, a whitewater park, an extensive trail system and a ski area just a few minutes from our office.
To apply, send your resume and at least three samples of your work to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. TELECOMMUTERS NEED NOT APPLY