With Summer officially kicking into gear, more and more people are venturing into the outdoors for recreation, including Wyoming’s rivers and streams. The Natrona County Sheriff’s Office is advising people to exercise caution around these water bodies, so that people can have fun and stay safe. The following safety tips were published on the official Natrona County Sheriff’s Department Facebook page.
- 1. When you or your children are around water, take steps to prepare for the unexpected, by wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- 2. Enroll children in swimming lessons at an early age. Children should always be supervised when in or around the water.
- 3. Be aware of Fast-moving currents, waves and rapids, even in shallow water.
- 4. Know the abilities of those going with you, including swimming abilities and level of supervision required.
- 5. Have a phone handy. No matter where you are swimming, the ability to call 911 in an emergency could be a lifesaver