Boaters enjoying a late summer day, boating near Fremont Canyon at Alcova Reservoir (File Photo; Trevor T. Trujillo, Oil City News)

CASPER, Wyo. — The Wyoming Game and Fish Department said on Monday that they are now accepting boat registrations for the 2021 season.

Game and Fish says that registering early will allow people to get out on the water earlier in the spring.

“Maybe you’re the lucky recipient of a new boat this holiday or perhaps you just inherited a boat — we’re here to help get you on the water with your registrations and aquatic invasive species decal,” Game and Fish Accounting Coordinator Amanda Roberts said. “Even if you’re just renewing this year, brushing up the most current requirements is important.”

Game and Fish said that rules have changed for 2021 boat registration such that only owners and co-owners are able to register their watercraft.

All motorized watercraft are required to have current registration and an “aquatic invasive species” decal before they can head out on the water.

“Boats can be registered for one or three years; one year AIS decals are also available. Allow 10 days for arrival,” Game and Fish said. “How to register a watercraft depends on if the boat is new or simply needs a renewal.

“All watercraft owners may register or renew the registration via mail, as long as the proper paperwork and registration fees are included. If renewing online, keep your receipt as proof until you receive your registration and decals.”

Anyone with watercraft which are newly purchased or which have seen a transfer of ownership are required to show a county issued title and proof that Wyoming sales tax has been paid.

“Owners are permitted to operate their new watercraft for only 30 days after the purchase with a notarized bill of sale,” Game and Fish said. “Any watercraft that has changed ownership may require law enforcement to verify the Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) for accuracy prior to titling. For this situation, watercraft can be registered at Cheyenne Headquarters or any regional office by the owner or co-owner.”

“If the watercraft was previously registered in another state, Game and Fish can accept a current non-Wyoming title or current non-Wyoming watercraft registration in the watercraft owner’s name at any regional office or Cheyenne Headquarters in order to register your boat in Wyoming. Any watercraft purchased outside Wyoming must undergo an AIS inspection prior to being launched.”

“If a watercraft is currently registered in Wyoming, a renewal can be easily completed online, at Cheyenne Headquarters or at any regional office.